EMP offers a variety of valuable events that support the efforts of local educators, including biannual Teacher Professional Development Days, Homeschool Days, and music and literary student competitions such as Write Out of This World.
Professional Development Days
Our Skills for 21st Century Educators series continues! Learn what’s new at EMP as our visionary curators highlight upcoming programs, test out your music skills at EMP’s Sound Lab, and tour the museum’s exciting new exhibits. Choose two of six skill-based workshops designed especially for educators, addressing a broad spectrum of student (and teacher) learning styles. Elementary and MS/HS learning targets will be addressed in each workshop.
- The iPad Classroom: Dive into Digital Audio/Visual Arts Projects for All Subject Areas
- Creating Music Videos: Visual Narrative and Collaborative Learning
- Moves and Grooves: BrainDance Gets Poppin’ with Hip-Hop Moves
- Build It! STEM Unites with Arts Through Architecture, Design, and Engineering
- Play It! World Music Rhythm Games for Your Classroom
- Selfies: Using Photography to Put Learning in the Picture
- October 25, 2014, EMP Museum, 8:30am–4:00pm
Indie Game Revolution Educator Opening Event
This three-hour morning event will serve as an introduction to the Indie Game Revolution exhibition, and offer innovative ways to invigorate your teaching with aspects of game design. This pervasive medium is not only connected to our youth’s lives and interests, but also represents an emerging teaching tool. Three clock hours are available as part of this professional skills workshop, "Scratch Animation and Game Coding for Educators," and exhibition tour led by EMP Senior Curator Jacob McMurray.
- November 8, 2014
- Free with RSVP. Three clock hours available.
- RSVP to Education@EMPmuseum.org by Wednesday, November 5.
Beginning in fall 2014, EMP will offer homeschooled students and their families a unique opportunity to participate in thematic hands-on experiences centered on the museum’s exhibits and content. Each homeschool day will feature a different student-centered workshop led by a professional teaching artist, a guided gallery experience, and free time to explore our exciting and interactive exhibits. Registration for the first event in September will open soon.