EMP offers a variety of valuable events that support the efforts of local educators, including biannual Teacher Professional Development Days, Homeschool Days, and music and literary student competitions such as Write Out of This World.
Star Wars™ and the Power of Costume Educator Workshop
Explore the world premiere of Rebel, Jedi, Princess, Queen: Star Wars™ and the Power of Costume with a workshop and exhibition tour exclusively for educators. Teaching artist Nicole Appel will lead a workshop exploring the creative process behind character development and costume design: Fusing Language Arts and 3-D Mixed Media Figures. Teachers will practice hands-on ways to incorporate character archetypes and the hero’s journey for creative language arts projects dynamically fused with visual arts learning, skills, and vocabulary. Includes exclusive exhibition tour led by EMP Senior Curator Jacob McMurray.
- January 31, 2015; EMP Museum; 9:00am–noon (doors 8:45am)
- $20 (includes three Washington State clock hours)
- Limited to 30 total participants
Rebel, Jedi, Princess, Queen: Star Wars™ and The Power of Costume was developed by the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service in partnership with the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art and in consultation with Lucasfilm Ltd.
Professional Development Days
Join EMP Museum, Pacific Science Center, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Visitor Center for a day dedicated to inspiring and supporting educators through STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math). Take part in your choice of two two-hour, skill-based workshops at these three Seattle Center area venues, enjoy a stimulating lunch keynote, and tasty refreshments. Workshops are designed especially for educators, addressing a broad spectrum of STEAM learning objectives, and highlighting key topics from each organization’s areas of expertise taught by staff and professional educators. Choose from two of the following workshops:
- Illustrating Innovation
- Think Kinesthetically! BrainDance, Math, and Science Concepts through Movement
- Standards: The Next Generation
- February 21, 2015; EMP Museum, Pacific Science Center, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Visitory Center; 8:30am–4:00pm
- $50 (includes six Washington State clock hours)
EMP offers homeschooled students and their families a unique opportunity to participate in thematic hands-on experiences centered on the museum’s exhibits and content. Each Homeschool Day will feature a different student-centered workshop led by a professional teaching artist, a guided gallery experience, and free time to explore our exciting and interactive exhibits.
- September 18, 2014—The Science of Sound
- November 20, 2014—Filmmaking and Music Videos
- January 15, 2015—Introduction to Scratch Animation and Game Design
- March 19, 2015
- May 21, 2015